The monastery and the Church of St. Anthony of Padua were established by the Frankopan family between 1660 and 1685. Following the earthquake in January 1917, the monastery was rebuilt as a two-storey building. In April 1941, the Germans deported the monks, demolished the church and part of the monastery and founded a German high school at the site. Franciscans had a significant impact on culture, education, and welfare. When the monastery was demolished and abolished, both urban and spiritual harmony of the town were affected.
Today, the renovated building houses the High School (Gymnasium) of Brežice.