It is supposed that the castle was built in the 12th century on a small slope on the left bank of the Sava River, separating Styria and Carniola. It was built by the Salzburg people in order to serve administrative and defence purposes. The town of Brežice, which was established in its neighbourhood, got city rights approved by a document in 1353. Name Brežice is a derivative from the town on the bank (bregu – brežcu), situated on the pier above the dried-out bed of the Sava. The two-storey castle is the mightiest building in Brežice, built in the middle of the 16th century in the site of the castle which was burnt down in 1515, in time of the great peasant revolt.
The Attems and Viteška dvorana (the Knight's Hall)
In more peaceful times the aristocratic family Attems turned the castle into a residence. The count Ignac Maria Attems was fond of the baroque art so famous Styrian artists of that time painted in his castles. His idea was to rebuild the eastern wing and make a hall, today known as Viteška dvorana (The Knight's Hall). A double staircase, the chapel and the Knight's Hall are painted, the latter was renovated in 2011 and is the unique example of secular baroque frescoes on the Slovenian territory. It is the place where we can listen to concerts or attend other events while our thoughts travel through the scenes from Roman and Greek mythology.
Landscaped as a park with a fountain in the middle the castle courtyard looked very spacious. They took care of the castle's surroundings, filled up protective moats and turned them into garden plantations. The icehouse was built by the south-western tower. On the eastern side of the castle there was a cultivated park planted with various tree species.
Since 1949 the castle, a monument of immovable heritage, has been the home of Posavje museum Brežice, which presents the heritage of Posavje region from the earliest days till today. 65 years of activities of the Posavje museum Brežice form an integral part of celebrating 75 years of Posavje museum activities. The Posavje museum derives from the seeds of a museum, arranged under the auspices of Museum society for political districts of Brežice and Krško in Krško, established on 30th September in 1939.
The Posavje Museum Brežice
Phone: + 386 7 466 05 17
GSM: +386 31 708 737