At the heart of the old town stands the mighty Town Hall which underwent quite a few changes in the past. Events with a great atmosphere taking place at the Town Hall are well worth a visit.
The castle granary in Brežice is one of the best-preserved castle granaries in Slovenia and is listed among 227 immovable cultural monuments of national importance.
The northern town gate from the 16th century was designed as a one-storey stone tower with a trapezoid layout that stretched to the moat.
The water tower is the most recognisable landmark of the city. It vertical line is visible from afar and invites you to the city which was regarded as an “important market town” for several centuries.
The building dates back to the 16th century. A large hall with colonnade and vaulted ceiling, which served as horse stables, is preserved on the ground floor.
The park and its learning trail will surely amaze you, including the children who can play in the playground and recreation lovers who can use exercise equipment and visit a fitness park.
A fateful event occurred in 1941, when the Germans confiscated the building, demolished the church down to the presbytery and deported the monks and founded a German high school at the site. Franciscans had a significant impact on culture, education, and welfare of the local community. Today, the renovated building houses the Brežice Grammar School.
Thanks to its beautiful Renaissance façade and semi-circular portal from 1641 and 1695, the former pharmacy is one of the best-preserved buildings in Brežice.
The solemn opening of the National House dates back to 1904. In the era of national struggles, it served as a cultural and political centre of the Slovenians of Brežice.
HotelThe former German House (Deutsches Heim) with the Pri črnem orlu (Black Eagle, Zum Schwarzen Adler) is a northern Renaissance-style building.
The Pilgrimage Church of St. Roch, built to commemorate the victims of the cholera epidemic, is a good example of rural sacral architecture of the late Baroque classicism from 1764.
The walls were 1.90 meters thick and 6.60 meters high. Entrance to the town was through northern, southern and eastern gates.
The remains of 4-metre thick walls from the 16th century, which closed off the bailey to the east, were found in the north-eastern tower of the castle. The remains of walls discovered underneath probably date back to the Middle Ages.
The multi-storey building from the second half of the 18th century is one of the most beautiful houses in the town.
A continuous series of houses in the southern part of Gasa was built onto the town walls. In the past, the houses were mostly occupied by artisans. Gasa is seen by many as one of the most beautiful streets of Brežice.
The Parish Church of St. Lawrence standing in the centre of the town and featuring dynamic, Baroque-style single-nave design, domed arch over the central bay and presbytery, and the western belfry over the choir was built in 1782 as designed by J. N. Fuchs.